About the Award
Only students who are currently enrolled and will be enrolled full-time, as defined by their program, next summer or fall semester (2017) are eligible. Those who have received this award in the past are not eligible to re-apply.
Selection criteria will be be based on demonstrated leadership; current participation in community-related work (paid or volunteer); scholastic ability and achievement; the personal statement and the recommendation letter.
Applicants must also
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident; and
- Have a GPA of > 2.75.
Underrepresented minority students and those from disadvantaged backgrounds will be given priority.
- Underrepresented minority status may be disability, racial, ethnic, social or sexual orientation.
- A student may be economically disadvantaged (the individual comes from a family that receives public assistance e.g., Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program, Medicaid, and/or public housing),
- And/or educationally disadvantaged (first in his or her family to attend college; graduated from - or last attended
- a high school that, based on the most recent annual data available), had either:
- Low SAT scores;
- Low percentage of seniors receiving a high school diploma;
- Low percentage of graduates who go to college during the first year after graduation;
- Low per capita funding; or
- Many enrolled students were eligible for free or reduced-price lunches.
The scholarship provides a $3000 check to the recipients, which can be used for tuition, fees, books, or other educationally related expenses.
- Application Deadline: February 13, 2017
- Application Form
- 500 word essay addressing
- Your interest in being considered for the scholarship and which underrepresented minority (or minorities) and/or disadvantaged background (or backgrounds) that you represent.
- Goals related to health care/education and public service and how you would benefit from the scholarship
- Your plan to contribute to an underserved community upon graduation
- One letter of recommendation (submitted directly to Erendira Romero)
Please submit the above information to
Erendira Romero, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Dean
These materials will be forwarded to the selection committee (CEHS Leadership Team)
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.