Essential Program Information
What is the program's ARC-PA accreditation status?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(a)
The ARC-PA has granted Continued Accreditation to the PA Program sponsored by Touro University California. Continued accreditation is an accreditation status granted when a currently accreditated program is in compliance with the ARC-PA Standards.
Continued Accreditation remains in effect until the program closes or withdraws from the accreditation process or until accreditation is withdrawn for failure to comply with the Standards. The approximate date for the next comprehensive review of the program by the ARC-PA will be September, 2018.
How successful is the Joint Program in achieving its goals?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(b)
Mission: Through the integration of the Physician Assistant and Public Health disciplines, the mission of the Joint MSPAS/MPH Program is to:
1) train quality PAs to work with underserved populations,
2) recruit applicants from these communities or individuals with
a demonstrated interest in serving these communities, and
3) increase access to care for underserved populations
Given our mission, the fundamental goal of the Program is to graduate physician assistants who become certified, and who provide health care to underserved populations.
- Between 2005 and 2016, 422 students have graduated from the Joint Program, 421 of whom have taken the PANCE. 99.3% of those students have passed the PANCE, including 402 (95.5%) who passed on the first try. Coursework includes education on health disparities and the health issues faced by medically underserved communities. During their clinical year, all students spend at least one rotation in a clinic in a medically underserved area.
- For three recent classes (2017-2019) 65.6% are from a medically underserved area, a disadvantaged background, and/or are from a ethnic or racial population that is under-represented in the PA profession.
- Of the 334 alumni whose work information we have, 50.1% work in a medically underserved area. Over one quarter (25.4%) work at a federally-designated site that specifically serves medically underserved populations. Over half (52.7%) of our alumni work in primary care, and nearly a third (33.2%) work in primary care in medically underserved areas.
What is the first-time PANCE pass rate for the past five classes?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(c)
Following are PANCE Pass Rates for all graduated classes:
|PANCE Pass Rates||First-Time||Overall|
|Class of 2005||67%||100%|
|Class of 2006||77%||100%|
|Class of 2007||95%||98%|
|Class of 2008||100%||100%|
|Class of 2009||100%||100%|
|Class of 2010||97%||100%|
|Class of 2011||94%||100%|
|Class of 2012||97%||98%|
|Class of 2013||100%||100%|
|Class of 2014||100%||100%|
|Class of 2015||100%||100%|
The official report by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) on the first-time PANCE pass rates for the past five years is available here.
To attain the PA-C designation, graduates of ARC-PA accredited PA programs must take and pass the PANCE. The PANCE is a computerized, multiple-choice exam that comprises 360 questions that assess basic medical and surgical knowledge.
Students should apply for PANCE before graduation; however, all requirements for graduation must be completed before students can actually take the exam.
What academic credit is offered by the program?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(e)
The student handbooks have detailed information on the curriculum and credits offered. The program as a whole requires 143 semester hours of credit.
Where can I find estimate of all costs related to the program?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(f)
We have prepared an approximate cost of attendance. This is an estimate only, and is subject to change. The office of Financial Aid also has estimates for all Touro University California programs.
What are the policies and procedures for refunds of tuition and fees?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(g)
The tuition refund schedule can be found in the TUC University Catalog, available from Student Services on their web page.
What are the policies about student employment while enrolled in the Joint Program?
ARC-PA Standard A3.14(h)
From the 2019 Joint MSPAS/MPH Program Student Handbook:
The Joint MSPAS/MPH Program curriculum is rigorous and requires the presence of the student at all classes and rotations. Many hours are committed to classroom work with additional hours dedicated to self-study. For this reason, the Program strongly discourages outside employment. If a student feels that it is necessary to work while in the Program, it is advisable that the student inform his/her faculty advisor of this. Program expectations, assignments, schedules, deadlines, and responsibilities will not be altered to adjust or accommodate working students. It is expected that employment will not interfere with a student’s learning experience.
Students may work within the institution while participating in the Federal Work Study Program as long as such work will not interfere in their academic pursuits. Joint Program Students however, may not be employed by or be required to perform clerical or administrative work for the Program. In addition, students may not substitute for clinical or administrative staff during supervised clinical practical experiences.
Are there admission and enrollment practices that favor specified individuals or groups?
ARC-PA Standard A3.15(a)
Are there admissions requirements regarding prior education or work experience?
ARC-PA Standard A3.15(b)
What are the policies and procedures regarding advanced placement?
ARC-PA Standard A3.15(c)
Advanced placement is not granted. Those students who have already earned an MPH at another school must complete the MPH courses with their cohort. Those students who have already earned an MPH at Touro University California must take Public Health classes with their classmates, unless they have already taken those specific classes. In that case, these students must take other Public Health classes for an equivalent number of credits. For further information, please contact our Admissions Department.
What are the required academic standards for enrollment?
ARC-PA Standard A3.15(d)
Please see our prerequisites page.
Are there any required technical standards for enrollment?
ARC-PA Standard A3.15(e)
Please see our technical standards page.
What information is contained in the student handbooks?
ARC-PA Standard A3.17(a-g)
Current handbooks can be found here. Among other things, the student handbooks define:
- Required academic standards
- Completion deadlines/requirements related to curricular components
- Requirements for progression in and completion of the program
- Policies and procedures for processing student grievances
- Policies and procedures for withdrawal and dismissal
- Policies and procedures for remediation and deceleration
- Policies and procedures for processing allegations of harassment
What is the program commitment to "teaching out" students?
ARC-PA Standard A1.03h
In the unlikely event of loss of accreditation and/or closure of a program, the University is committed to teaching out all currently matriculated students, including those in the PA Program. This may involve allowing them to complete their education at Touro University California or assisting them in enrolling in an accredited program in which they can continue their education.
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.