Innovative Learning Master of Education Degree
By embracing innovation in the context of open and collaborative approaches to education, cohort members in this program explore and prototype new models for learning and performance. Through problem-based action research, participants cultivate provocative methods to support equity, literacy, and the re-imagining of school and learning to close achievement gaps, promote social justice and equity.
The curriculum encourages candidates to:
- Rethink classroom practices through the lens of effective uses of digital media and technology as tools to support optimum student learning of subject matter.
- Engage in inquiry-based learning while exploring 21st century workforce skills; communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creativity.
- Examine the needs of schools and districts that face the challenges of achievement gaps, inadequate resources, poverty, language, and diverse cultures and innovate to create change and equitable practices.
- Focus upon effective pedagogies from the real world context of teaching in multicultural school systems and the future work place in a global market.
- Develop leadership skills necessary to support others to use technology effectively in the classroom.
Develop competencies in:
- effective uses of digital media & technologies for learning
- the use of action research to inform teaching practices
- core subjects & 21st century themes
- learning & innovation skills
- transliteracy, media & technology
- professional development, evaluation and growth
- leadership & advocacy
Methods of Delivery
Fully Online Cohort Program With Virtual
School District Based Face-to-Face Meetings:
The Master's of Innovative Learning is a 30 unit program. California credentialed Teachers have the opportunity to apply up to 12 teacher credential/license program units toward the degree coursework. The resulting program maybe completed in one year by taking 2 courses per semester for 3 semesters.
18 Unit Credential Extension Program Includes:
One Year to complete 9 Units in Innovative Learning Courses:
EDUC 701: The Dynamics of the Equitable Classroom
EDUC 702: Digital Tools for Edu-Vators
EDUC 703: Extending Human Capacity via Transliteracy
9 Units of Research Courses:
EDUC 790: New Literacies and Digital Epistemologies
EDUC 791: Sensemaking and Research Design
EDUC 792: Capstone Seminar
Admission to the graduate programs (M.Ed) begins with the completion of the application for admission including the $50 application fee, written response to the interview questions and an interview with the program chair. The chair of Graduate Studies reviews the application and determines the final admission decision. For more information please contact the Chair of Graduate Studies or the Program Assistant listed below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does this degree allow you to do?
- Become an effective leader who employs instructional practices that emphasize core subjects and 21st century themes, learning and information technology and leadership and advocacy.
- Credential completion option may be completed in one year (with valid CA credential.)
- If you have a valid California Teaching Credential and have yet to earn a M.Ed., this program is only 18 units.
- Fully online cohort model used with strong support network and accessibility to instructors.
- Focus upon effective practices from the real world context of teaching in multicultural school systems and the future work place in a global market.
- Three semesters to complete 18 units and 5 semesters to complete 30 units
- For the 18-19 academic year-18 units x $600 per unit=$10,800 or 30 units x $600 per unit=$18,000
- Books=$300; no software needed
- Financial aid is available
- Tuition and Fees posted here: LINK
- Up to 12 credits can be transferred, upon program approval.
Location of classes?
- Cohort meets online one or two times per week.
- Where groups of local teachers are interested, school district based cohorts can be formed.
- Classes meet once or twice per week, time and day determined by cohort preference.
Pamela Redmond, Ed.D.
Professor & Chair of Graduate Studies
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.