Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Touro College and University SystemTCUS students hail from all over the world, from all walks of life, in the pursuit of a common goal: to get the best possible education, to find a promising professional career, and to do so in an environment that respects and supports their backgrounds and beliefs. Since 1970, the system has grown exponentially but our values remain. As we’ve expanded, our focus has been on serving diverse communities, as well as Orthodox populations, and catering to students who simply want an exceptional education in a warm, tolerant, and intellectually rigorous environment. Across all of our schools and programs, we advocate for and expect all students to behave with integrity and respect. We believe in the dignity of all, and strive to contribute toward a society that does as well.
Touro University CaliforniaEstablished in 1997, the mission of TUC is to educate caring professionals to serve, to lead and to teach. Students from diverse backgrounds are recruited nationally to create a dynamic, robust learning environment. Our Jewish values are universal values. TUC was founded upon the universal values of commitment to social justice, intellectual pursuit, and service to humanity. As such, TUC is dedicated to the following values:
- Respect for the inherent value and dignity of each individual
- Intellectual inquiry, discovery, and passion for life-long learning
- Acceptance and appreciation of diversity
- Compassion and service to society
- Student-centered education
- Collaboration and sense of community
- Promotion of interprofessionalism
TUC provides graduate and professional educational excellence in the fields of Health Sciences, Public Health, and Education.
Graduate School of Education
Our education programs prepare educators to meet the needs of all students and train
them for the future of education. Our Mission is to promote social justice by serving
the community and larger society; as well as to prepare and continuously support professional
educators to meet the needs of a constantly changing and diverse student population.
The GSOE has taken concrete steps to recruit candidates that reflect this diverse student body and provide the support to succeed.
Those steps include:
- Developing admissions criteria that use multiple and inclusive measures to evaluate
- Engaging with the community to encourage applicants from all backgrounds to become educators.
- Providing scholarships to increase the diversity of applicants and support current students.
- Leading and partnering with the other programs in the College of Education and Health Sciences to host professional development and community forums in the areas of social justice, educational and health disparities, equity, and inclusion.
These actions have increased diversity in the GSOE and this is shown in Touro's teacher credential admissions data below in comparison to all teacher programs in California.
Touro Teacher Credential Programs
California Teacher Credential Programs
Scholarships for Underrepresented Students
Touro's financial aid office has a list of specific scholarships for underrepresented students. LINK
Diversity Scholarships for the GSOE
Since 2015, Touro University California has raised $90,000 dollars to recruit and support diverse candidates to its programs. Funds are spent on offering scholarships to students from a diverse background and for continuing students to promote their success.
Video testimony from 2017 scholarship winner. LINK
Director of Equity and Diversity
In 2017, TUC hired a full time Director of Equity and Diversity. The director collaborates with university administrators, faculty, staff and students to support students from diverse backgrounds and helps promote an institutional vision for diversity, equity and inclusion.
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.